Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Reading is Fundamental

I've got a pinch of free time today (here and there, you know how that is).  So I thought I would relate a funny thing that happened to me this morning.  And for the the purposes of this story, the names have been changed to protect the innocent
(read: my job).

I work for a Department, which is right down the hall from this Other Department that creates Stuff.  Earlier today, I got a call from a co-worker saying that he was here to pick up his Stuff, but couldn't get in because the door was locked and his badge would not work.  Right off I knew he was on the wall phone right outside of my Department's door.  For some reason the activities of my Department are so secret-ninja that we are located behind a security door.  The Other Department does not have a security door since people have to come and go to pick up their Stuff.

Anyway, he was confused, and so was I.  In order to call me, he had to have gotten my phone number off of the list next to the wall phone.  A list that has the title MY DEPARTMENT'S NAME in huge size-32 type font on the top-- as in THE DEPARTMENT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STUFF YOU CAME TO GET, SO CALLING THE PEOPLE LISTED BELOW IS COMPLETELY POINTLESS.  Therefore, I was confused as to why he would call me when it clearly states on the list that I am involved in non-Stuff related activities.  He was just plain confused.

So, despite me telling him that he was at the wrong Department door and offering to call someone from the Other Department to come and fetch him, he remained convinced that his Stuff was being held hostage behind this infuriatingly locked door.  He was eventually saved from his stupidity when someone in my department opened the door and kindly pointed him in the direction of the Other Department.  I'm surprised she didn't have to walk him the whole way while holding his hand and murmuring encouraging phrases to him.

That's the whole story, but just one more thing.  Check out the cartoon that I made for this post.  I'm really pleased at how it came out, for a basic stick-figure sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment