Friday, August 12, 2011

Muppet Insults

I subscribe to the Youtube account of a family member-- a teenage girl. Not too long ago she uploaded a video she made with a few of her friends. I thought it was the essence of beauty and talent, but that's because I've known her since she was a tiny baby. So I can (barely) understand if outsiders don't exactly share my opinion.

But I was floored when I saw that someone had left an ugly comment. And no, no, no, I'm not a newbie. I've heard of trolls before. However, this didn't feel like a troll comment-- it wasn't by a kid, and there was no profanity or insults concerning anyone's physical appearance. It was just some grown-ass man (his profile states he's 24) telling a little girl that her video was "the biggest load of crap on Youtube." Like Youtube is some kind of PBS affiliate.

Anyway, my family member decided to take the high road. She responded that she respected (!) his opinion and that the video was only done in fun. Such a lovely and intelligent girl. She's gonna go far.

I, on the other hand, took the low road.

Now, I am no troll, either. My response was profanity-free. I did, however, insult his intelligence. But that's only because it's ridiculous for an adult to ask a young girl "what is the point" of her upload. (Oh, yes. He apparently requires identifiable and measurable substance in his Youtube videos.) I didn't call him stupid. I merely suggested that his brain may not have been working when he made his comment. I then politely suggested that he provide a link to this alleged high-quality Youtube material. Of course I slathered on the sarcasm with a trowel.

And, believe it or not, the guy apologized. I can't take the credit, though. He admitted that since my family member's response was so nice, he felt his original comment was a little unfair (...and the award for Understatement of the Day goes to...).

But, wait: with his large helping of I'm Sorry, he included a side order of Sarcasm just for me. He called me witty and brilliant (somehow I don't think he was sincere). And then he called me... a muppet. This is not a typo. He actually called me a muppet. I'm... at a loss. Is this an insult? Is being associated with a felt doll created by the Jim Henson company a slam against my character? There must be more to this. Off to Google!

According to Wiktionary, it is UK slang for someone who is incompetent and foolish. Urban Dictionary goes on describe it as someone who has no idea about anything, and associates it with other UK insults like tosser and wanker.

So, OK, he has insulted me. That makes me feel... um... hold on... Nope, nothing. I just can't wrap my head around this. I'd sooner associate the word "muppet" with a term of endearment than some flame-worthy insult. Also, if I have to Google your insult, then it's not very effective.

I don't intend to reply to the guy's latest comment. For one thing, I kinda expected it. If I'm going to dish it out, I should be ready to take it. And another thing, he eventually did the right thing: he acknowledged the bone-headedness of his first comment. Plus, I've learned something: I don't need to butt into my family member's business. She apparently can handle herself. Our female family member is growing so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment