Monday, August 9, 2010

I'd like the meal, hold the food.

Sometimes a person can have a lot on her mind. She can be juggling a mental list of errands that span from what she has to do that day, to the things she needs to do next week. Therefore, it is perfectly excusable if she accidentally does something that makes you not only question her sanity, but also wonder how she dresses herself in the morning. After all, she is normally an intelligent, quick-witted, smart, brilliant, clever and unassuming genius who hates to toot her own horn.


You do realize that this "she" is me, right?


Anyway, here are the details of my temporarily-stuck-on-stupid moment. I was going home after a long day of work and running errands. I had decided to stop by Wendy's drive-thru for a quick dinner, and then straight home. I still had to throw something in a bag because I was driving out of town at 5am the next morning. I was also working on a project for my upcoming family reunion, which involved several trips to Target and Walgreens, not to mention the countless man-hours I was putting in with all the cutting and pasting (I mean literally, with scissors and glue).


So all of this was going through my mind when I ordered and paid for my value meal, plus it was important to remember to get my debit card back with my receipt. The girl at the window handed me my card, receipt and pop. Great. I put everything away securely and pulled off. As luck would have it, there was a perfect opening in the rush hour traffic for me to jump in and speed off for home.


I'd driven about four blocks, still arranging in my head that evening's schedule of eating, packing and scrapbook-making, when I realized that I could not smell my food. As a matter of fact, I couldn't remember even receiving my food from the drive-thru lady. I then replayed the transaction in my mind: card, receipt, pop, pulled off... Dang it!


Do you know how difficult it is to make a three-point turn in rush hour traffic? Let me tell you, people in a hurry to get home do not want to be inconvenienced by some moron doing a traffic-clogging driving maneuver. Well, too damn bad! This moron left her paid-for food at the drive-thru, and she is going back to get it RIGHT NOW. Try not to burst a blood vessel during the 15 seconds it takes me to turn around.


The girl at the window was really sweet when I returned for my food. In other words, she managed not to laugh in my face when handing me my meal. But we all know she laughed afterwards. Well, as long as my stupidity gave her (and you) a moment's joy, then I guess I've done some good in the world. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment