Friday, January 13, 2012

Maybe it's you!

I got an angry caller this morning.  He was frustrated that every time he tried to fax documents to one of my company's fax machines, he would receive a communications error.  He explained to me through gritted teeth that he had been trying the number for an hour without success.

Well, you know, these things happen.  One day a fax machine is working; the next it isn't.  I am of the belief that they are full of magic.  And elves.  So who knows why they just up and decide to malfunction.  What I'm saying is that I was entirely sympathetic with this guy's predicament.  I apologized and provided him with an alternate fax number.  After several minutes of answering the same question twenty different times (Him: "Does this fax number go to the same department?  Are sure this department will receive my documents if I fax it to this alternate number?  So, faxing my paperwork to this new fax number will get it to the department that I want?"  Me: "Yes, yes, YES!!!"), the guy was reassured enough to get the heck off of my phone.

Two hours of my day passes.  He calls back.  He is SUPER irate because now he has been trying for three hours to fax us documentation without success.  He states that the alternate fax number that I gave him is giving him communication errors as well.  And he wants to know WHAT IS WRONG WITH OUR FAX MACHINES.

Hmmm... OK.

He has attempted to reach two different fax machines on two completely separate phone lines, and he believes that both are malfunctioning at the same time?  What are the odds of that?  Surely it can't be a problem with HIS fax machine.  It MUST be our machines' fault!  Maybe our magical fax machine elves are on strike.  Do magical elves form labor unions? 

Anyway, I could have pointed out the guy's stupidity, but I didn't.  I like my job.  And I like how it pays my bills and keeps me with a steady supply of Sangria.  So, I sent the guy over to the Department of Evil, Malfunctioning, Elf Union-Striking Fax Machines, where he could hiss through his teeth at them.  Done and done.

By the way, today is my birthday.  Yay!  That means that I have attained another year's worth of maturity.  Hahahahaha!  Yeah, right.  Anyone who believes that is not reading my blog. 

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny as always. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to consider that maybe its MY (his) machine is the one malfunctioning

    ReplyDelete